Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Photo #12

I took this photo on a backstreet that runs from my house to John's house.  You can see that most of the houses in M'Bout are like mine, made of mud with thatched roofs.  The little boy has his government issued blue backpack on since school recently started.  ALL the kids have the same one; they got them for free from UNICEF, and the bags were filled with notebooks and pencils and school supplies.  Pretty neat.  There's also a fence on the left side of the picture where someone keeps their animals at night.  It's pretty common to pen your animals up at night (my family ties each goat and sheep up by their hooves to logs, buildings, etc.), and then let them roam free during the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aren't those turquoise backpacks the best!!! man, i almost want to ask for one, but then I think about the poor kid who could have had a backpack instead of me just wanting one becaus i think they would make a good souvenir of my pc service. maybe i'll buy a nicer one at a boutique and trade....