Saturday, August 2, 2008

To add to my list of traveling ailments...

Since I arrived in Mauritania, current volunteers have been telling us about the infamous "blister beetle," which leaves an irritating oil on your skin that bubbles, pops, and spreads to other parts of your body.  Absolutely disgusting.  Here's a picture of the little guy that I found online:
A few days ago, I found one of them inside my mosquito net while I was at the center.  I calmly put him into a cup and threw it outside.  But the next morning, I woke up with something that looks like this on my leg:
Yeah, gross.  It didn't bother me at first, just looked nasty, and some volunteers told me that certain people aren't allergic.  A few more days passed, and I've decided that I'm not one of them.  Our health handbook said that it should go away on its own in a few days or I'll have to pop it underwater.  You knew I wouldn't be able to leave Africa without contracting something bizarre.
And, by the way, scroll down for two more (happier) photos that I just posted!


No comments: