Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back to D'Jourbel

Since my last post was all over the place, I'm going to try to synthesize my thoughts this time and write a bit more logically.  We returned to the training center on Monday and spent the past two days attending sessions on safety & security, general Mauritania information, and various Peace Corps philosophy/tools.  This morning, we're returning to our host families.  We've got about 3 more weeks of language class and technical training, then another series of center days before swear-in on August 28!  Then, BIG PARTY!  In the spirit of setting small goals for myself, this is the next big thing that I'm looking forward to.
I'm a little nervous about returning to my host family's house today.  I'm sure that I've forgotten a lot of Hassaniya, which they'll probably notice right away.  And life is totally different when you're living with a Mauritanian family than when living with 70 other Americans.  I'm always on cross-cultural high alert and trying desperately to coordinate my life with theirs.  It's like "little America" inside the center sometimes, and as non-integrated as that sounds, it can be a wonderful break.  I'm excited about improving my Hassaniya though and about getting back into my daily routine.
Speaking of daily routine, I've discovered two races here in RIM (Republique Islamique de la Mauritanie).  One is the Nouakchott marathon, which takes place sometime in the winter, and another is the Atar half-marathon, which is every spring.  I want desperately to participate in both of these!  Since running seems to be my main form of exercise, I also think that these will be great training goals.  I think that the marathon is open to anyone, but the Atar half-marathon is a Peace Corps-organized event, which will be a great opportunity to see the other trainees and catch up after months apart at our sites.  Our country director is really flexible in regards to our in-country travel; he understands what a hard country this is to live in and does a number of things to preserve his volunteers' sanity.  Everyone appreciates it.
Overall, things have been going pretty well.  I wanted to say that a few weeks ago, I realized that I was truly happy here for the first time.  It was during an early-morning hike that I went on with my classmates Becky and Sean.  We were hiking around in the fields outside of Rosso before breakfast and in the pinkish light of sunrise, and I felt so completely relaxed and content to be here.  It took me three weeks to be able to be that relaxed here, but I was very glad when I realized that in myself.
I'll try to get some more photos up soon when the internet connection is less crowded.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I was so glad to find your blog on the parents' page! It's nice to get your perspective on things, especially since you'll be working with John. Take care!
Allison aka John's mom