Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Never thought Id say it but I love cloudy days...

First of all youll have to excuse my punctuation. Im at a internet cafe and not quite understanding this keyboard but I want to update my blog while I have the chance.
Secondly Kelsey Mommy Daddy Grandmom Grandma Aunt Erica and Tia Maria thank you so much for the emails. I am feeling much more comfortable here today and your messages made me smile. It become increasingly cloudy all day long so I think it may rain tonight which is actually good news since rain tends to cool everything off. If I could find the exclamation point Id insert it here.
A few of you asked about what I weaar running since were not supposed to show our legs or shoulders in public. When it comes to sports here the rules are more relaxed. I wear capri pants and a teeshirt and although we receive our fair share of strange looks I dont think its directly related to our running attire. I did see another runner this morning for the first time, perhaps he was inspired by Jackie and me. Also Rosso is a much moreliberal community than many others so its not necessary for me to cover my head during the day or while running. The more I talk to current volunteers the more I realize that Ill just have to figure out the dress code for my final site when I get there. Its good to be respectful but maintain a bit of your own culture at the same time.
I have about a week and a half of language class left before site visit when Ill be visiting my permanent village. My hassaniya is slowly improving and Im trying to use it more and more at home with my host family instead of French. My host family greatly appreciates my efforts. For example the other night we had aich for dinner which is a cold soup of ground millet milk and sugar. Absolutly disgusting. I choked down a few bites and then tried to casually slide the bowl back towards my host mom. Salma you hardly ate, she exclaimed. No no Im fine, I said. You dont like it, she asked. Maa nibqi aich, I replied. I didnt know what to say since I couldnt eat another bite but wanted to be polite. She started laughing, took me to buy a sandwich, and then proceeded to tell everyone she knows what I said about her soup. They always laugh when they hear. Thank you Hassaniya.

1 comment:

k.l.f. said...

Maa nibqi aich. What does that mean? I feel like I need to know so I understand why it's funny...

LOVE YOU! Take care of you. Expect a large package in the mail in the next 2-3 months... :) Where do I send it to? Your PC address?